Jun 13, 2016

Lemony white chocolate and rhubarb bars


As a child I was not a rhubarb fan. I couldn't think of it as a fruit, vegetable or anything nice to eat. I was stubborn enough not to take a bite of any rhubarb pie or cake my mum made. 


It is amazing how taste can change through the years. Since baking started to be an important part of my life, I don't really know a dessert I do not like. I love to discover new flavors and experiment with unusual combinations and rhubarb is now definitely worth a try.


Ingredients for 20cm x 20cm (8x8 inch) cake form:
*inspiration: hummingbird high

CAKE BASE:

- 100g (1 stick) butter
- 150g (1 cup) brown sugar
- 2 free-range eggs
- zest from one lemon 
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 190g (1½ cup) flour

TOPPING:

- 200g chopped rhubarb
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp flour
- 70g white chocolate chips


1. In a small saucepan, heat the butter and sugar until melted. Leave to cool.

2. Preheat the oven to 180C/356F.

3. In a large bowl, mix the eggs with melted butter until smooth. Add the flour, baking powder, salt and lemon zest. Mix again until combined. 

4. In a separate bowl combine chopped rhubarb with sugar, lemon juice and flour. 

5. Tranfer the batter into prepared form and evenly spread the rhubarb and white chocolate chips on top. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until your cake tester comes out dry. 




BON APPÉTIT !

No comments:

Post a Comment

Instagram